What To Expect
- CoolBreeze Laser Treatment for Fungal ToenailsYour toenails will be cleaned and filed prior to the laser treatment. As each toe is treated with the laser you will feel a mild, warming sensation immediately followed by a burst of cooling cryogen spray. The laser treatment will take about 20 minutes to treat both feet and there is usually no discomfort after the treatment. Dr. Michael will discuss post-treatment care to avoid fungal re-infection.
- You will notice results within 2-4 months, depending on how quickly your toenails grow. New, clear growth begins to appear at the bottom portion of your nail as the diseased portion of the nail grows out.
- You may return to your normal daily routine immediately after your toenail treatment, including painting your nails or pedicure treatments.
Safe & Effective Treatment
- This new patented laser technology kills the pathogens that cause toenail fungus.
- The gentle laser light works through the nail and does not harm the nail or skin.
- Proven Clinical Results 88-90% effective
- Quick, in-office procedure
- Treatment takes only 20 minutes, walk in and walk out pain free.
- No downtime from regular activities
- Shoes and nail polish can be worn immediately after treatment.
- Great alternative to prescription medications
Before & After
Is the treatment safe?
- Clinical studies have shown no adverse reactions, injuries, disabilities or side effects following treatment. There are no age limitations or health restrictions for Laser fungus toenail treatment.
Does it really work?
- Clinical studies have shown the treatment to be 89-90% effective in killing the fungus. After 2-4 treatments patients grew out normal looking nails in 3-12 months depending on the extent of the infection. You can expect the same results if you have a healthy nail bed.
Will the Fungus come back?
- The fungus under the toenail is killed after 2-4 treatments and clinical studies have shown a vey low recurrence rate (5-10%). The doctor will recommend care and prevention techniques to reduce the chance of re-infection following treatment. However just like any other infection there is a chance of re-infection because the fungus is present everywhere in our environment.
How does the laser work?
- The laser is a specially designed light beam that passes through the toenail to the fungus which is then killed by the heat of the laser. There is no damage to the nail or surrounding tissue. The laser has an automatic temperature sensor to detect the exact temperature necessary to kill the fungus and prevent damage to the surrounding tissue. When the temperature is reached the laser shuts off and a cool spray is applied to the toenail.
Is the procedure painful?
- There is no discomfort associated with the treatment during or after. Most people feel no pain because of the automatic temperature sensor and cool spray. Some people feel a mild warming sensation under the toenail.
How long does the procedure take?
- Typically the visit will last 20 – 30 minutes. Cutting or thinning of the nail may be required in some instances. Treatment by the laser itself will take about 10-15 minutes. The remainder of the visit will include discussion with the doctor about prevention of re-infection.
What can I expect after treatment?
- There is no recovery period following treatment. You will walk out of the office just as well as you walked in. All types of shoes can be worn immediately with no effect in your daily activity. Nail polish can also be used immediately after treatment. It is important to remove polish the day of treatment.
Is this treatment approved by the FDA?
- The Cool Touch Varia laser used for fungus nail treatment is cleared by the FDA for general podiatry use and used for many procedures in the office. Use for treatment of toenail fungus however is still considered an off-label use. Numerous clinical studies have been presented to the FDA for this specific approval but has not been granted to date. Please contact our office if you need clarification.
Is laser treatment for fungus toenails covered by insurance?
- Because the treatment is still considered cosmetic by health insurance companies they do not provide coverage. However if you have a Health Savings Account (HAS), Medical Individual Retirement Account (Medical IRA) or Medical Flexible Spending Account (Medical FSA) or other medical cafeteria plan through work you may be reimbursed 100%.
How do I pay for the treatment?
- You may use cash, personal check or money orders. For your convenience our office accepts all major credit and debit cards.